It’s not troublesome to overwinter outboard engines, and small fashions will be made in a day. As an example you run your small outboard in salt water all summer time and do not flush it as typically as you must through the season. (For a few of us who float our boats on a regular basis in a spot with no freshwater provide, meaning by no means.) On this case, it is vital to flush the boat effectively with freshwater, maybe with a salt remover resembling Salt-Xearlier than winterizing it.
To do that, you should use “ear muffs” that clip over the engine’s uncooked water consumption ports, plus a backyard hose to produce contemporary water, plus an in-line mixing unit put in within the hose to ship the anti-salt fluid. suck. Alternatively, you should use a clear trash can or barrel full of contemporary water to a stage above the engine intakes, together with anti-salt fluid if needed. Word: Solely do this on a small, transportable motorbike. You must be capable of safe or tie down each the rubbish can and the engine. For me, the strategy has labored on engines as much as 15 horsepower and 90 kilos, nevertheless it’s simpler with, say, an eight-horsepower, 75-pound engine (proven right here) or smaller.
You drive in impartial with the decrease unit submerged – by no means shift into gear – so you do not have to take away the mount for security. Nonetheless, it is by no means a nasty concept.
Winterizing a small outboard motor with a carburetor
These are the steps I take to winterize a small carbureted outboard motor:
- Take the hood off the engine, begin it and let it rise up to working temperature, ensuring the telltale signal is that there’s a good movement of water again into the barrel. Let it run within the contemporary water for 5 to 10 minutes.
- After you have combined salt remover, take away the motor from the barrel, empty the barrel, refill it with contemporary water, put the motor again on, run it and rinse for an additional 5 minutes.
- In case you can not attain the gasoline filter bowl (see beneath), disconnect the gasoline hose from the engine now and run the engine with out gasoline. Hold your can of engine fogger useful and, simply because the engine begins to stutter, spray the fogger straight into the carburetor. The nebulizer stops the engine and prevents corrosion in winter.
- If you may get to the gasoline filter, you too can simply spray the atomizer into the carburetor if you’re able to cease flushing.
- Then disconnect the gasoline hose.
- Unscrew the gasoline filter bowl, examine the filter factor inside, and pour the gasoline from the bowl into your gasoline tank or different appropriate container. Screw the bowl and clear filter factor again onto the motor. They will keep dry by way of the winter.
- Take away the spark plugs and spray nebulizer into the cylinders till it begins to movement. Wipe the spark plugs, wipe them clear and reinstall them.
- Take away the engine from the water, give the decrease unit an excellent scrub, rinse it one final time, dry it and clamp it to an influence cart or workbench to complete the winterization.
Winterize a small outboard motor with EFI
After all, if the engine has gasoline injection, which is frequent with most of the newer small outboards, you’ll be able to skip all of the steps involving a carburetor. As a substitute, combine the producer’s advisable fogging fluid with gasoline in an exterior tank and easily run it by way of the outboard motor till seen smoke comes out of the exhaust.
Steps for winterizing all small outboard motors
After these steps are accomplished, now’s the time to vary the oil for each the decrease unit and, within the case of four-stroke engines, the engine oil. You do not wish to go away soiled oil soaking within the winter, particularly if there’s an opportunity it might need water in it. Here is an excellent video from Boats.com methods to change the oil of the decrease unit.
You additionally need:
- Wipe off any outdated, salty grease and apply new grease to the bracket, pivot joint, throttle physique and hood latch – wherever grease is required.
- Test and substitute the zinc(s) on the underside unit if needed.
- In winter, go away the motorbike upright, clamped to a dolly or bench, or leaning in a nook. Do not lay it flat.
Lastly, and most significantly, winterize your transportable gasoline tank. A half-full tank of ethanol-rich gasoline that you simply go away alone within the winter will seemingly offer you a serious headache within the spring. So choice one is to utterly empty your tank and burn the gasoline in one thing else (the place I stay it is chainsaw and woodpile time; I simply add a little bit two-stroke oil to get the combination proper for the noticed), or Possibility Second, fill that tank to the brim with contemporary gasoline and add the stabilization components of your alternative. I take advantage of a mix of storage additive and anti-ethanol stabilizer; watch out with ethanol and boat gasoline it’s completely essential so as to add that stabilizer. Additionally disconnect the gasoline hose from the tank, drain the gasoline and pour it into the stabilized gasoline as effectively.
When you have a diesel engine, a bigger outboard (earmuffs required) or a sterndrive, take a look at the opposite winter ideas beneath.
Make sure to go to subsequent spring: Get your boat prepared for spring: spring commissioning guidelines.
Editor’s Word: This text initially appeared on Boat Dealer in October 2013 and was final up to date in October 2023.